Monday, December 1, 2008

Pre-Visualization

Of course you know the name Ansel Adams. We happen to share the same birthday.

Do you know Minor White? How about Nicolas Hlobeczy?

I never met Adams. Met Minor White in a photo workshop and studied briefly with Mr. Hlobeczy. Minor White wrote Zone System Manual, first published, I believe, back around 1965. Adams was the first to talk about pre-visualization. White took it up in his Zone System and Hlobeczy, as an instructor, pushed photography in a way that made these ideas come alive.

Pre-visualization, if you haven't read the articles, is summarized by Adams: You don't take a photograph, you make it. So it has been for most of my life, not only with photographs but with everything I approach and attempt. Certainly there is a whole period of trial and error, testing the equipment, ideas, materials and of course results. Once these "incidentals" become almost second nature the objective is to plan, prepare, assemble the necessary components, execute and realize the results all with the idea that end result is evident.

In Dan Gilbert's very entertaining book, Stumbling on Happiness he (and be aware, I'm giving away his conclusion here) tells us that we can prepare for our next adventure simply by asking other people if they are happy in the situation that you are pursuing. Even in times when I let myself go with the tide I have come to realize that there is inevitably excitement and fascination that results.

The atheletes do this all the time. You can watch the gymnasts visualize their routine, all the details, all the moves, all the results.

In a Mozart biography, the composer was quoted as saying that he could see the entire musical piece in front of him, without beginning, middle or end but all at once.

So here we are at the start, hopefully of a new vineyard, and I am gathering all my energies in order to see what it will be.

If you have any insights (yes I know it's hard work and I shouldn't have an extended family involved) drop me a note.

Finally, one of the most incredible aspects of this kind of thinking and working is that the results almost always provide more than anticipated. There is always a surprise, a good surprise, something to delight the heart and mind and provide reinforcement and nourishment for the next endeavour.

No comments: