Sunday, June 7, 2009

Surprised

I am surprised that there is no interest in what goes into this blog. Well it probably be better if it was updated, added to at least 5 days a week rather than every month. OK let's give it a try and start to implement some of the tools that I am learning about blogging.

Otherwise this thing will not go anywhere and it's getting t the point where the vineyard is becoming all important.

Beside the vineyard there will be other interruptions as seem appropriate or as I feel the need to simple put ideas forward.

Here's one that I bet no one picked up on. This is a new one for me.

I often think about the kinds of things I would teach if I had the opportunity. Since I am an architect my focus would primarily be in that field. So here's one: In a course called professional practice I think I have a new approach. Typically this is a small course that covers specifications, some general business concerns but never really hits on the problems of what architecture is all about. So my thought is to have student, in 2's or 3's or 5's for architectural firms. What type of firm, what are the legal arrangements, where would the firm practice and why, what kind of work would be done, clients, what kind of marketing, who hires, who fires, who gets paid and how much, what kind of growth, what happens in a recession? And on and on. There are issues of software, hardware, communications, office standards, hours per week, vacation time and sick time, bonuses and profit sharing. What happens with a rogue designer. When an employee brings in a job.

A lot of work, eh? The kind of work that almost all young architects and interns say they never receive in school.

No comments: